Monday, June 3, 2013

How Sick Is That

My day came crashing down last Friday. A small sniffle, that over two  days, exploded into a full blown head cold. I awoke on Sunday feeling more poorly than Luke Skywalker getting pushed into a Taun Tauns belly. Except I do not smell worse on the inside....

Saturday morning I spent feeling quite OK, still having a nose like a leaky valve and attended my best friends sons 10th birthday party. We played Lazer Tag. With 15 other kids, they ran and shot, I walked and hoped I shot....something. I think I shot more 'holes' in walls than I shot other kids. We later returned that evening to celebrate the birthday boys celebration with dinner. I still felt OK, but Lil Miss G was not settling in for her normal late feed and fussed about more than usual. So we left for home.

To top it off Lil Miss G, awoke 4-5 times, during Saturday evening for us to discover that she has cut through with her first tooth. So all that extra fussing from her last feed made more sense. I spent most of Sunday sleeping and taking an inordinate amount of Sudafed and Strepsil tablets. I hate taking any pharma products at the best of times. With me,  awakening Sunday morning feeling like I'd done three rounds with Mike Tyson on a bad day, I saw the look of pleading help from my partner, and I could not help with much with the household or with helping bubs. I could not. Do. Much. At. All.

As a consequence, Ms L needed to step up to look after a sick household. She already does an exceptional job during the week. I like to get home from work during the week, and enjoy being a dad to Lil Miss G. I also like to do so with weekends, as well. It supports Ms L and gives her a much needed break, but for now she also had to attend me and the baby.

Come Monday morning and after much discussion, I stayed home to get that much needed extra recovery time. Going to work I was more than willing to do, but my body was still telling me the same as Ms L. Your crazy for going and will most likely be sick for longer without enough recovery time.

Then Lil Miss G's temperature Monday morning stayed at 39 + and did not quite reach the danger level of 39.5 Celsius. No warning as to why her temp was up and no obvious signs of distress, or what the cause was. After a call to the Maternal Child Health Nurse, Ms L started to stress. I suggested  to Ms L to see a doctor, to reduce her stress levels and to ensure G is OK. Two doctors saw to bubs, and one had the bedside manner of a rhino hitting 100 klms on a highway. The other doctor had a much better manner and suggested a throat infection. Suggestions were to keep fluids up and if her demeanor changes or temperature rises, then bring her straight back for further care.

Ms L went to the chemist after the doctor visit to hunt for a better thermometer. The best priced retailed over eighty dollars. Now how sick is that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post Jason. I particular like the Star Wars reference!

Keep posting great content!